englishहिन्दी [beta]

Jhansi Smart City Limited (JSCL)

Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh (India) is one of the shortlisted cities selected in 3rd round from the total 100 shortlisted cities by Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD), Government of India. As per the directions of Government of India (GoI), Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) was incorporated with the name “Jhansi Smart City Limited” on 22nd November 2016. JSCL is headed by a full time Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and has nominees of Central Government, State Government and ULB on its Board. The local administration of Jhansi comes under the purview of Jhansi Nagar Nigam, which is in-charge of housing and sanitation, maintenance of roads and providing basic healthcare facilities, educational and other infrastructural facilities. The smart city proposal of Jhansi includes several Pan City and Area Based development plan. A smart city incorporates creative technologies and ideas to boost sustainability, economic stability, and resident well-being. Technology fulfils the crucial task of evaluating, automating, and incorporating the different aspects of sustainable urban development.

Jhansi Smart City envisages establishing various initiatives with strong Information & Communication Technology (ICT) backbone for seamless experience for residents, employees and other stakeholders with reduced energy consumption and reduced environmental stress. ICT will act as an enabler and Jhansi Smart City Limited (JSCL) will be able to leverage the global best practices of managing city services from a centralized Integrated Command & Control Centre (ICCC) facility. The ICCC will benefit Jhansi Smart City authority to collate information and carry collaborative monitoring, thus helping in the analysis of data for quicker decision making. Intelligent operations capability will ensure integrated data visualization, real-time collaboration and deep analytics that can help different stakeholders prepare for exigencies, coordinate, and manage response efforts, and enhance the ongoing efficiency of city operations. The interface at ICCC gives a real-time and unified view of operations. Cities can share information across agency lines in real-time to accelerate problem response and improve project coordination. Furthermore, the ICCC will help in anticipating the challenges and minimizing the impact of disruptions. Solutions considered in Jhansi smart city involves ICT solutions on Sensors data analysis, Video Data analysis, Internet of Things (IoT), Citizen centric applications, Spatial Information Management.  JSCL had appointed KPMG as the Consortium Partner of Master System Integrator for implementation of Integrated Command and Control Centre in Multiple Capacities at Jhansi.

Jhansi Nagar Nigam

Jhansi Nagar Nigam was established under the provisions of the Uttar Pradesh Municipal Corporations Adhiniyam of 1959, making necessary amendments from time to time. It has been categorized as Urban Local Body under the provisions of the 74th Amendment of the Constitution, where the rights duties, functions and administration has been streamlined as per the act. Jhansi city is governed by Jhansi Municipal Corporation or Jhansi Nagar Nigam (JNN). In totality, it covers 152 square kilometres across 5 tehsils, 8 blocks and 437-gram villages with a total population of nearly 5 lakh residents across 60 wards. According to 2011 Census, Jhansi city has a population of 505,693 and density of 3,372 people per sq.km. It has 91,150 households (Census 2011).

The Nagar Nigam has various general functions such as providing basic infrastructure such as roads, streetlights, maintenance of roads, providing basic health and educational centres, etc. As per departmental data 2020, the population of Jhansi has increased to 622,180 in 2020 and total number of households is 124,436 which is used for preparation of SFD 2020. Most of the population in Jhansi (98%) uses onsite sanitation systems, and there is no practice of open defecation. Only 15% of the excreta in Jhansi is safely manged, leaving 85% as unsafely managed. This SFD Light Report was prepared by the Centre for Science and Environment India in 2020.